Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Free Agency, Day 29


Well, I certainly didn’t see the biggest news of yesterday coming. Let’s go through it a bit.


Panthers extend WR Steve Smith

The Panthers signed wide receiver Steve Smith to a three-year contract extension with a team option for a fourth year. Financial terms were not disclosed but the deal could have as much as $18 million dollars guaranteed.

I’ve always believed in hang on to your own, but I really wasn’t expecting this to happen. I kind of had the feeling that the Panthers would let Smith’s contract run out and try to bring in younger receivers to mature with quarterback Cam Newton, but that being said, I like this move a great deal. Smith can still be a big play
receiver and a consistent contributor in the Panthers offense. Keeping him around for the near future will help ensure the smooth transition of any new receivers they bring in.

Steelers sign TE Leonard Pope

The Steelers signed tight end Leonard Pope to a one-year deal.

Pope is a solid back-up tight end with great size. His hands are inconsistent and he doesn’t have great athleticism, but as a second tight end and red one threat, he should be a good option. I like this signing.

Redskins sign CB Leigh Torrence

The Redskins signed cornerback Leigh Torrence to an undisclosed contract.

Torrence is mostly a sub-package cornerback and special teams player. I like him in those roles and he could work his way into being the nickel back, but I don’t think he will. In general I like the signing, but it really won’t make a big impact.

Vikings sign LB Marvin Mitchell

The Vikings signed linebacker Marvin Mitchell to an undisclosed deal.

Mitchell was purely a special teams player with the Dolphins and will likely play that same role with the Vikings. Not a major or significant signing, at least from my view.

1 comment: