Saturday, October 2, 2010

NFL Week 4 Picks

Damn, I just can't get myself going this season an I? I went 8-8 last week pulling me to 25-23 for the season. Dear god I need a good week or a good bottle of scotch. Here we go. 





     NYJ vs. BUF

                                 The Bills offense seemed to finally wake up last week, only frothier defense to go to sleep. Even if their D is awake for this game, I don’t think the mistake prone Ryan Fitzpatrick will be able to match wits with Rex Ryan’s defense. Jets win.


                CIN vs. CLE

                                 Cincinnati is maintaining their status has one of the better teams in the NFL, while Cleveland remains quite rudderless. Cincy wins.
               

                BAL vs. PIT *Game of the Week*
               
                                                 While it would seem at the surface that this game should be a blowout due to Ben Roethlisberger’s absence from the Steelers, I beg to differ. There are two things that make me say that this will be a great game. One: Joe Flacco has not had a great deal of success against good defenses this season; note the sub-par performances against the Bengals and Jets. Two: Charlie Batch is not as bad as some would make you think. While he isn’t by any means a franchise quarterback, nor is he the kind of player you want leading your offense for a season; in a few (3-5) games, playing in that Steelers offensive system, he has been quite good. He knows what throw to make and what throw not to make and can generally avoid making the big mistake. Ultimately though, this game is going to come down to who can stuff the run better, thus controlling the play-action passing of their opponents. For that, I’m going with the Steelers. Their athletic and experienced interior linebackers have given their team a huge boost and should be able to keep Ray Rice contained. This will be a good one though and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Ravens win.


                DEN vs. TEN

                                I don’t know how many more ways I can say that I think the Broncos suck. I’ll admit they surprised me when they beat the Seahawks, but I’m not of the opinion that they will be able to contain Chris Johnson. Tennessee wins.


                DET vs. GB

                                 Green Bay will win, but take solace in this Detroit fans, your team is playing much better than they have been in years.


                SF vs. ATL

                                 I thought this was going to be a great game going into the season. I thought San Fran was ready to return to the playoffs this season. Well, I was wrong. Atlanta wins.


                CAR vs. NO

                                 Carolina is clearly in transition. While they still have some very good players, they just aren’t with it as a team right now. New Orleans may have proved why they aren’t as good as advertised, but they still are good enough to win this game.


                SEA vs. STL

                                 I’ll admit it. St. Louis surprised me with their win last week. They might even be able to win another game or two. I’m not picking it though, at least not till Sam Bradford proves something to me. Seattle wins.


                IND vs. JAC

                                 If Jacksonville can take advantage of the less than stellar run defense of the Colts, then they could pullout the victory. However, I am not going to be the one calling Peyton Manning out on divisional game. Colts win.


                HOU vs. OAK

                                 Houston had an uncharacteristically bad game last week. This week, they get back on track. Texans win.
                             
                  
                WAS vs. PHI

                                 This game will get a lot of hype because of the Donovan McNabb trade; and while it will be a good game, I don’t think it will be as good as the Steelers/Ravens game. This is game will be hard to pick because of how well Michael Vick is playing. Also, while DeAngelo Hall is familiar with Vick from their days in Atlanta, I think that he and the other Washington corners won’t be able to contain Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson enough to keep Washington in it. Eagles squeak by.


                ARI vs. SD

                                 I have so little faith in Derek Anderson that I am picking the exceptionally disappointing Chargers over the Cardinals.  


                CHI vs. NYG

                                 The surprising Bears facing the stumbling Giants. It would be way too obvious to select the Bears strictly on the basis of the momentum. I am still picking the Bears to win, but it has more to do with the way the Bears have been able to isolate matchups against weak coverage defenders. In that regard, I’d beware Greg Olsen is I were a Giants fan. That matchup against Jonathan Goff has Mike Martz’s eyes sparkling.


                NE vs. MIA

                                New England’s offense seemed to wake up last week while Miami lost in almost crushing fashion to the Jets. I’m not sure Miami will be able to get themselves together for this game. But at the same time, I’d always take Brandon Marshall over Devin McCourty and Darius Butler. That won’t be enough for Miami to win, but it’ll keep the game close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment