Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A Faclons fan's Draft Wishlist

I’m going to be clear, this is not a mock draft or a statement of who the Falcons MUST come out of the draft with. This is just the players I would like to see in a Falcons uniform when the season begins. I’m going to include a number of prospects at a number of positions who could go through the first four rounds. I know they can’t take everyone, but I’m doing this more to illustrate that the draft can be successful with a number of selections.

Vic Beasley – DE/OLB – Clemson 
Some have labeled Beasley as a workout warrior. I just don’t buy it. He was just too productive at Clemson. His workout more likely confirmed what was seen on tape and I think he’ll be a big time edge rusher with Dan Quinn pushing him. The concerns about his technique are also things I think that Dan Quinn can work to refine.


Todd Gurley – RB – Georgia
                The talk of the value of runningbacks dropping in recent years has been overblown. Yes you can get a good runner in the second or third round. But that doesn’t mean that you WILL. Gurley is a special runner. The best I’ve seen since Adrian Peterson. The injury doesn’t concern me either. Peterson and Curtis Martin came out with injuries and made the teams that passed on them look silly.

Brandon Scherff – OL – Iowa
                The biggest question about Schreff seems to be whether he is a tackle or guard. I say who really cares? If he’s a great football player he’s a great football player. Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews played both positions and was All-Pro at both. Schreff’s versatility would be a great asset for the Falcons, who have issues both at guard and right tackle.

Shane Ray – DE – Missouri
                I wasn’t bothered by the foot issue. I love his motor and his burst off the edge. I prefer him over Bud Dupree and Randy Gregory (both of whom I see as Aaron Maybin/Vernon Gholston types). The Marijuana citation gives me pause. I’m more interested in getting Gurley or Schreff than him now, but I certainly wouldn’t be upset if the Falcons took a chance on him.

Devin Smith – WR – Ohio State
                I want to be clear in that I don’t think that the Falcons should take him with the eighth overall pick and I highly doubt that he will be available in the second round. But if he is, he would be a perfect fit for the Falcon’s need at receiver. Smith reminds me of Steve Smith. He can start as a speedy slot receiver and transition to the starting lineup as Roddy White gets older. Guys like Phillip Dorsett and Breshaud Perryman would also fit this mold but I expect both to be gone by the second round.

Tyler Lockett – WR – Kansas State
                I’ve seen Lockett projected to go anywhere form the second to third rounds. I think there’s a good chance he’s there for the Falcons second round pick and while he doesn’t have the top-end speed of Devin Smith, I like his overall game and added value as a punt and kick returner. He should definitely be in consideration.

Laken Tomlinson – OG – Duke
                The Falcons need a true road grader up front. I know Tomlinson may not be athletic enough for Kyle Shanahan’s offensive philosophy, but I just love his game too much.  A big tough four-year starter at Duke, I think he can help change the attitude of the offensive line.

Denzel Perryman – LB – Miami
                I love this kid. Just an old-school thumper in the middle who slides into the second round because a little undersized and doesn’t show well in coverage. The issues with coverage are concerning, but much like I believe Tomlinson can remake the attitude of the offensive line, I think Perryman can change the defensive. I’ll take a strong leader with good instincts and a tone-setting ability to hit anyday. The Falcons need a true middle linebacker.

Ali Marpet – OL – Hobart
                I like seeing a kid from a smaller school going through the pre-draft process and competing with all the bigger names. He has flaws and is probably more of a guard than tackle, but the experience helps his versatility. He’s got the agility and second-level vision to fit into Kyle Shanahan’s system and, while a bit of a project, could be a great investment in the third round.

Eric Kendricks – LB – UCLA
                Kendricks is the flip side of Perryman. He’s less of a tackler but excels in coverage. Given the penchant for modern NFL teams to spread offensive out, Kendricks could be a great guy in the middle if the Falcons want someone who can keep up with guys like Greg Olson or Austin Seferian-Jenkins. His size doesn’t really bother me because guys like Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis and Bobby Wagner were questioned about their size coming out. Kendricks makes more sense than Perryman if Dan Quinn wants his D-line to manage the run game.

Duke Johnson – RB – Miami (FL)
                One way or another the Falcons need help at the running back spot. Johnson is a bit small and has a bit of an injury history, but plays with the toughness of a bigger player. His shiftiness and willingness to throw himself into defenders may remind Dan Quinn of Robert Turbin. He’d be a worthwhile gamble in the second or third round.

Jay Ajayji – RB – Boise State
                Ajayi is a big back with good power. He’d fit in well in the backfield with Devonte Freeman coming in for passing downs and a speed change. Some question his power and ability to move the pile, which is fair but I think an NFL coach can help him build the strength to take on tacklers more effectively.

Nick O’Leary – TE – Florida State
                His stock has slipped because he didn’t test out well during the combine or pro-day, and that’s a shame. He’s everything you want in a tight end, except a big play machine. He reminds me a lot of guys like Todd Heap and Heath Miller. Natural catcher, great route runner, willing blocker. He won’t wow you like Jimmy Graham, but ultimately will have a bigger impact on your offense because he won’t go away or stop being productive. He’d be a steal in the third or fourth round.
               


No comments:

Post a Comment